Even though Autumn is once again late here in Cyprus, I catch myself graving for more wintery flavours! And to me apples and cinnamon mean winter!! This recipe is just delicious, warming you up and can be part of your 5 a day, as it has so much apple!!
For the oatmeal
• ⅓ cup rolled oats
• 1 small apple, peeled and diced into small pieces
• ⅓ cup apple juice
• ⅓ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• a pinch of ground nutmeg
• 1 tbsp maple syrup (or add to taste)
For the topping
• ½ apple, peeled and diced into small pieces
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 2 tbsp coconut sugar
• 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1. In a small saucepan, combine oats, diced apples, apple juice, almond milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Simmer until liquid has absorbed into the oats, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add maple syrup. Empty the oatmeal in a bowl.
2. In the saucepan melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the diced apple chunks and coconut sugar. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has melted and formed a caramel-like sauce on the apples. Stir in the walnuts.
3. Serve the oatmeal immediately, topped with the caramelized apples.